Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Isaac Stern

To be a musician in the service of music is not a job; it is a way of life.

Two things are necessary for a life in music; a clear idea of what you want to be, and the arrogance to pursue it. You can't walk onstage and say to the public, "Excuse me, I'm here." You must believe in yourself and make immediately clear to everyone, "I'm going to play, Listen!"

For me, the art of making music is a highly personal affair that involves the performer, the instrument, and the public. It's all too easy to be ignorant, or feign ignorance, of basic rules of music and to say or think, "This is the way I feel, I will do whatever I like, I don't need to recognise the boundaries of good taste or know the historical development of musical composition or have some rudimentary idea of the history of musical performance. " But to abide by the strict disciplines of music and, accepting those limitations, develop an individual voice; to become perceptive and honest; and above all, to recognize how to convince the listener - not to go to the listener, but bring the listener to you - that is the mark of musical artistry

No comments: