Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Artur Schnabel: Quiet Hands

Leschetizky's wife, Madame Essipoff, a then famous piano virtuoso took care of my pianism. I had to play studies and exercises, chiefly Czerny's. She used to put a coin on my hand, a silver coin, and if I played on Czerny study without dropping it, she gave it to me as a present. In the meantime, I have changed my way of handling the piano so radically that now if I were to play only a few tones the coin would drop. I don't think that the "static" hand is a recommendable technique for the expression of music. For very young beginners, however, it might, temporarily, be the only method.

=======================================

I don't believe in finger playing. The fingers are like the legs of the horse. If its body wouldn't move, there wouldn't be any progress; it would always remain on the same spot.

No comments: